Curcumin (IUPAC title is 1,7-bis[4-hydroxy-3-methoxyphenyl]-1,6-heptadiene-3,5-dione), also called Diferuloylmethane, Pure Yellow 3 or E100, in accordance with the European coding of meals components,1 it’s a natural agent showing as a yellow-orange coloured pigment, a peculiarity that it shares with ginger.2,3
It’s the principal polyphenolic agent derived from the Curcuma longa plant (turmeric) and probably the most extensively studied pure merchandise in recent times, because of its therapeutic properties.4,5
For a whole bunch of years, curcumin has been extensively used as a medical herb in conventional Chinese language6 and Ayurvedic medication,7 being a vital ingredient of varied pure treatments for the remedy of a number of pathologies akin to atherosclerosis, diabetes, liver illness, rheumatism, and infectious and oncological illnesses.8 Curcumin demonstrated a large spectrum of various properties, particularly being an anti-inflammatory,9,10 anti-oxidant, antimicrobial and antimutagenic molecule.11,12 However, it’s vital to emphasise that its bio-medical potential is proscribed due to its poor digestive bioavailability. In truth absorption is low, whereas metabolism and elimination are extraordinarily speedy.13,14 This subject will likely be mentioned later, within the applicable part. Moreover, curcumin is utilized in cookery as a spice, within the beauty trade and in cloth dying as a coloring agent.15
In ophthalmology, curcumin was initially used as eye drops in sufferers affected by conjunctivitis, demonstrating the identical efficacy of soframycin,16 then, in 1996, Awasthi et al reported its means in prevention of cataractogenesis in rats, handled ex vivo with curcumin (75 mg/kg P.O. for 14 days).17
Subsequently, curcumin was administered at a dose of 375 mg thrice per day for 12 weeks, as remedy of sophisticated power anterior uveitis instances, exhibiting an amelioration of signs.18 Within the final decade, researchers used this pure treatment in a number of ophthalmology issues, particularly in diabetic retinopathy (DR), glaucoma and age-related macular degeneration (AMD), seeing this molecule as a possible candidate for the prevention and remedy of degenerative and inflammatory eye illnesses.19
This overview goals to guage what literature reported concerning the peculiarities of curcumin, particularly specializing in the helpful and controversial facets of this substance, to be able to establish its software within the therapeutic administration of retinal illnesses.
The Chemical Construction of Curcumin
Curcumin, usually categorised as a pure polyphenol, exhibits totally different purposeful teams: the fragrant ring techniques or methoxylated phenols are linked by two a,b-unsaturated carbonyl teams (Figure 1). Typically, curcumin exists in two tautomeric types, the keto-enol and di-keto tautomers. The keto-enol tautomer is the predominant type when curcumin is current in polar natural solvents. Its chemical components is C21H20O6 (MW 368.38 g/mol)1 and it tends to look strong at room temperature with a melting level of 183 °C.4 Vogel extracted it greater than 140 years in the past, in 1815, from the dried rhizome of the normal Indian herb Curcuma longa, a perennial plant belonging to the Zinziberacee household and also called Indian saffron or turmeric. Lampe subsequently synthesized it, in 1913.20 The turmeric rhizome consists of curcuminoids (3–5%) and a risky fraction (2–7%):21,22 curcuminoids embody cinnamoyl methane derivatives akin to curcumin, demethoxicurcumin (DMC) and bis-demethoxicurcumin (BDMC), whereas the risky fraction primarily comprises characteristical terpene compounds, akin to zingiberene, curcumol and β-turmerone.5
Determine 1 Chemical construction of the curcumin.
DMC and BDMC demonstrated comparable organic properties to curcumin, having the ability to suppress the exercise of enzymes akin to COX-2, liable for NF-kB activation.23
All of the metabolites of curcumin, in addition to hexahydrocurcumin (HHC), octahydrocurcumin (OHC), dihydrocurcumin and tetrahydrocurcumin (THC), present each anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant results.24
The Curcuma longa’s rhizomes characterize probably the most helpful a part of the plant: actually, as soon as the rhizomes are boiled and dried within the solar, they’re crushed to be able to produce a yellow-orange powder, whose organic energetic element is curcumin.25
Owing to its biochemical properties, curcumin belongs to the group of so-called phytocompounds, biologically energetic molecules produced by crops exerting a helpful impact on well being. Different kinds of phytocompounds are beta-carotene, lycopene, quercetin and epigallocatechin gallate.26
Biochemical Properties of Curcumin
Curcumin Anti-Inflammatory Properties
Irritation is taken into account a physiological phenomenon usually occurring as a consequence of various pathological occasions: it’s acknowledged as a form of human physique protecting mechanism rising when accidents seem, with the danger of damaging the organism.
Curcumin is ready to block quite a few and totally different pathways usually activated by the irritation course of: as an illustration, curcumin exerts a big inhibitory impact on cyclooxygenase‑2 (COX-2), in addition to inhibits the PGE2 synthase 1, liable for prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) synthesis, and 5‑lipoxygenase (5‑LOX). As well as curcumin determines IκBα gene expression discount and modulates the nuclear factor-κB (NF‑κB) and activator protein-1 (AP-1) expression. The latter two are each transcriptional issue genes, which management a number of mobile actions: extra intimately, NF‑κB is a set off of irritation, immune exercise and cell proliferation, whereas AP‑1 stimulates cell proliferation. NF‑κB mediates irritation by means of cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2), lipoxygenase (5-LOX), and xanthine oxidase activation. Moreover, NF-κB, together with AP-1, which can also be overexpressed in most cancers cells, induces the expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), enhancing the manufacturing of nitric oxide (NO), tumor necrosis issue (TNF)-α, and prostaglandins.
All of those proinflammatory components result in vascular endothelial progress issue (VEGF) expression: thus, as a consequence, VEGF triggers endothelial proliferation with angiogenesis and extracellular matrix (ECM) degradation brought on by matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) activation.4
Along with this, curcumin downregulates janus kinase, sign transducer and activator of transcription (JAK/STAT) pathway figuring out, as a consequence, a TNF-α and proinflammatory interleukins (IL-1, IL-2, IL-6, IL-8 and IL-12) deregulation. Amongst these cytokines, IL-8, which induces extreme inflammatory reactions, is especially inhibited by curcumin. Gupta et al even demonstrated the curcumin’s means to inhibit p300/CREB-specific acetyltransferase, which usually prevents histone/non-histone proteins acetylation inflicting TNF-α ranges discount.27 Furthermore, curcumin modulates IkB kinase exercise with consecutive NF-κβ downregulation.28
Different research recommend that curcumin can regulate gene transcription, additionally through the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-γ (PPAR-γ) activation. PPAR-γ, by binding the peroxisome proliferator response ingredient (PPRE) within the promoter sequence of genes, exerts an anti-inflammatory impact (Scheme 1).5
Curcumin Anti-Oxidant Properties
These days, oxidative stress is outlined as an imbalance between reactive oxygen species (ROS) and antioxidant defenses.29 ROS, a traditional product of a cell’s metabolism, could also be both helpful or dangerous for the cell, relying on their focus: certainly, low ranges of ROS are essential in cell proliferation induction, intracellular sign transduction and apoptosis, however excessive concentrations of oxidative reactive species can intrude with regular organic pathways of the cell.15 Particularly, ROS ranges are the results of two mechanisms: endogenous ROS formation and publicity to exogenous ROS. Endogenous ROS are the product of mitochondrial oxidative course of and a few enzymatic reactions catalyzed by some oxidoreductase enzymes.30
A state of affairs of persistent oxidative stress, generally noticed in some neurodegenerative,31 cardiovascular, endocrine, oncological and autoimmune illnesses,32 is ready to activate loads of irritation molecular signaling pathways.
ROS are capable of modulate each the nuclear factor-κβ (NF-κβ) and tumor necrosis issue alpha (TNF-α) pathways, that are often concerned within the inflammatory cascade.29
In 2015 Deogade and Ghate6 highlighted curcumin’s anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effectiveness, most likely attributable to its hydroxyl and methoxy teams: as an illustration, this phytocompound and its derivatives are capable of block lipid peroxidation by way of a polyunsaturated fatty acid referred to as linoleate, along with their motion as ROS and NO scavengers.4
Most pure antioxidant substances present a phenolic or a β-diketone group. In mild of the presence of each phenolic and β-diketone purposeful teams on the identical molecule, curcumin and its analogs are thought-about as distinctive molecules.33
Significantly, the phenolic group appears to be liable for the antioxidant properties of any plant phenolic compound. Subsequently, some authors studied the properties of curcumin focusing exactly on its phenolic rings,33,34 whereas others have as a substitute sustained that the antioxidant function can be performed fairly by the β-diketone fraction of curcumin and its derivatives.21,35
Within the context of this debate, of nice curiosity are the outcomes obtained by Jovanovic et al who deeply examined curcumin radical’s physicochemical properties by laser flash photolysis and pulse radiolysis. With a view to examine the function of phenol hydroxy and β-diketone moieties and to find out the properties of the curcumin radical, they synthesized two methylated curcumin derivatives, methylcurcumin and trimethylcurcumin. The prevalent curcumin radical is represented by the phenoxyl, which is obtained both by an intramolecular H-atom switch from any methoxyphenol ring to the β-oxo-alkyl radical or by a direct one-electron oxidation of a methoxyphenol group. In mild of their outcomes, the authors concluded that the β-diketone moiety alone doesn’t possess antioxidant properties and that each β-diketone and phenol are vital for curcumin’s antioxidant properties.36
Nonetheless, concerning antioxidant properties, not all authors agree that curcumin is a superb anti-oxidant: Litwinienko et al emphasize that, since curcumin is a (bis)phenol, it could lure lipid peroxyl 5,6 and 1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl 7 radicals by releasing one in all its phenolic H-atoms, however this means doesn’t make it an antioxidant molecule.37
Furthermore, they affirm that, not like what was noticed by Jovanovic et al36 in ionizing solvents radical formation, it doesn’t consequence as a “speedy intramolecular H-shift”, nevertheless it happens after a proton loss. In response to Litwinienko et al, this discovering would resolve the CU antioxidant controversy.37
Curcumin Angiogenic Properties
ROS appear to play a vital function within the angiogenic homeostasis modulation and their impact is principally because of their focus: as already said, excessive ROS doses induce oxidative stress, with subsequent angiogenesis inhibition, whereas low doses of ROS (primarily H2O2) stimulate angiogenesis.33,38
A number of research revealed that curcumin inhibits angiogenesis through totally different mechanisms: Chen et al highlighted the power of curcumin to find out the suppression of isoforms 165 and 121 of VEGF secretion in U937 and Raji cells.39 Millanta et al noticed the angiogenesis suppression by curcumin, measured as community formation of endothelial cells on Matrigel. The identical phenomenon was detected within the endothelial cell line – ECV304 cells.40 Yoysungnoen et al inoculated HepG2 cells onto the higher layer of the skinfold chamber: these cells, then, had been implanted into mice, which had been orally fed with curcumin. On this research, the angiogenesis processes had been evaluated as tumor neocapillary density, through the use of a digital picture evaluation. The tumor angiogenesis resulted in inhibition through VEGF and COX-2 discount by curcumin 3000 mg/kg remedy.41 Furthermore, Li et al found a lower within the NF-κB pathway functioning with liposomal curcumin.
One other mechanism by which curcumin not directly prevents angiogenesis is that which includes the modulation of cell adhesion molecules, like endothelial vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 (VCAM-1), intracellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) and leukocyte adhesion molecule-1 (ELAM-1). Curcumin can also be capable of lower the exercise of metalloproteinases (MMP), the serine protease household and the urokinase plasminogen activator system (uPA). This peculiar property of curcumin leads to endothelial cell migration and remodeling progress issue (TGF), TNF, hepatocyte progress issue (HGF), and VEGF launch inhibition.42
In conclusion, the entire properties herein described reveal that curcumin could also be helpful in a number of angiogenesis-related issues as eye illnesses exhibiting these underlying processes.15
Curcumin Anticancer Results
Curcumin is a substance characterised by quite a few pleiotropic options: as instructed by totally different in vivo and in vitro research, it even exhibits anticancer potential. Significantly, curcumin inhibits carcinogenesis at three distinct phases: angiogenesis, tumor promotion and progress. It may well modulate a number of signaling pathways, particularly the tumor suppressor pathway (p53, p21), the loss of life receptor pathway (DR4, DR5), the proliferation pathway (CDK4, cyclin D1, c-myc), the cell survival pathway (Bcl-2, Bcl-xL) and the caspase activation pathway (caspase 8, 3 and 9), additionally together with a molecular pathway containing the protein kinase c-Jun N-terminal kinases (JNK) and the protein kinase B (PKB).43,44 Devassy et al reported the curcumin means of stopping a number of most cancers sorts together with breast, lung, colon and pancreas tumors, along with a number of myeloma.45
Curcumin Wound Therapeutic Results
Along with the options beforehand described, no much less essential is the power of curcumin to reinforce tissue restore processes: wound therapeutic is a posh situation which incorporates inflammatory processes related to granulation and tissue transforming.44
A number of progress components and cytokines are concerned: to begin with the remodeling progress issue (TGF-β1), which performs a key function within the wound therapeutic mechanism by stimulating the fibroblasts expression of fibronectin (FN) and collagen.46
Curcumin and Retinal Ailments
The retina is the construction that, occupying the posterior phase of the ocular globe, is straight in contact with the vitreous humor and it’s thought-about part of the central nervous system (CNS). It’s composed of a number of cell sorts and, extra intimately, two sorts of photoreceptors could be described: the rods, extra situated on the retina’s periphery, operate in scotopic mild situations (<0.1 lux, evening imaginative and prescient) and are notably delicate to darkness, whereas the cones, extra concentrated within the macula lutea, are deeply delicate to the fantastic form and to the sunshine, having the ability to discriminate colours and to work in photopic mild situations (>10 lux). Along with the photoreceptors, retinal ganglion cells (RGCs), bipolar cells, amacrine cells, horizontal cells, Müller cells and retinal pigment epithelial cells (RPEC) are additionally current within the retina. The RPE is a retinal layer which performs many essential features, such because the digestion of broken photoreceptor outer segments (POS) and the sustaining of retinal construction. Munia et al evaluated the consequences of resveratrol, lutein and curcumin on human retinal epithelial cells, demonstrating that these cells, after an oxidative stress insult, had been protected against loss of life by a pre-treatment with these nutraceutical compounds.47
The retina is a continuing goal of oxidative stress being characterised by cells wealthy in mitochondria and by vessels and, clearly, being constantly reached from photons of sunshine affecting its layers.
This example explains why many of the retinal pathological processes contain oxidative stress imbalance with loads of ROS and lowered ranges of antioxidant scavengers.
Furthermore, it’s essential to focus on that, usually, the retina exhibits a excessive content material of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) and, specifically, as aforementioned, a better oxygen and glucose uptake has been noticed, as compared with different tissues; these traits make the retina strongly vulnerable to oxidative stress.
Significantly, the RGCs and the photoreceptors are extraordinarily delicate to oxidative stress harm and it’s well-known that ROS imbalance is usually concerned in a number of retinal illnesses, akin to uveitis, age-related macular degeneration (AMD), diabetic retinopathy (DR), central serous chorioretinopathy (CSC), macular edema (ME), and from unusual etiologies, retinal ischemia-reperfusion harm (RIRI), retinal and choroidal tumors, proliferative vitreoretinopathy (PVR), hereditary tapeto-retinal degenerations, and retinal and choroidal tumors.1
Uveitis and Curcumin
As beforehand said, in ophthalmology one of many first employments of curcumin was within the area of uveitis: Lal et al studied its scientific software within the remedy of power anterior uveitis (CAU). Sufferers enrolled had been divided into two teams relying on the severity of the manifestations: one group obtained curcumin alone, whereas the opposite additionally obtained antitubercular remedy. Curcumin was administered within the type of capsules (one capsule thrice a day) every one containing a dose of 375 mg of the molecule. In conclusion, the authors reported a comparable efficacy between curcumin and corticosteroid remedy, the latter one being the one customary remedy acknowledged for this illness.48
Some years later, a long run observe up of oral phospholipidic curcumin (iPhytoone, Indena S.p.A, Milan, Italy or Norflo®, Eye Pharma, Genoa, Italy) remedy, along with the normal remedy, was efficiently carried out in sufferers with recurrent anterior uveitis (RUA) of various origin: three teams had been recognized as particularly herpetic, autoimmune and different varieties of uveitis. This research highlighted curcumin’s anti-inflammatory properties and, as well as, its good efficacy in stopping any RUA relapses.49
Lately, an oral phospholipidic curcumin strategy was additionally tried in sufferers with juvenile idiopathic arthritis-associated uveitis with promising leads to lowering power anterior chamber flare.50
Age-Associated Macular Degeneration (AMD)
The protecting function of curcumin has been additionally investigated within the AMD (Figure 2), the place Mandal et al noticed a modulation within the inflammatory genes expression within the retinas of curcumin fed Wistar rats (2000 ppm). The NF-kB consequence was inhibited and so they additionally revealed an early progress response protein 1 (EGR1) and intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM1) discount in retinal cell strains 661W and ARPE-19.51 Significantly in AMD, Muangnoi et al tried an strategy with a curcumin prodrug referred to as diethyl disuccinate (CurDD), exhibiting that this molecule is simpler in lowering oxidative stress in human ARPE-19 cells when in comparison with curcumin.52
Determine 2 Spectral domain-optical coherence tomography of a proper eye affected by age-related macular degeneration (AMD). Macular neuroepthelial detachment (central thickness of 419 µm) and choroidal neovascular membrane (CNV).
In all instances, CurDD was simpler than its father or mother drug towards oxidative stress-induced harm to ARPE-19 cells. These findings spotlight CurDD as a stronger drug in comparison with curcumin (Cur) towards oxidative stress and signifies that its protecting results are exerted by means of modulation of key apoptotic and antioxidant molecular pathways.52
Diabetic Retinopathy (DR)
Diabetic retinopathy (DR) is a metabolic and power inflammatory dysfunction, primarily characterised by ischemia, microaneurysms, hemorrhages, retinal edema, neovascularization and neuronal degeneration.53 It’s thought-about a microvascular retinal illness which contains two totally different phases: one early and usually non-proliferative stage (non-proliferative diabetic retinopathy or NPDR) and a later one, extra severe and characterised by blood vessel proliferation (proliferative diabetic retinopathy or PDR).54
Subsequently, these latter buildings are the extra stricken by the DR development along with the photoreceptors. It has been acknowledged that a number of metabolic pathways are concerned when the ROS imbalance is current: superior glycation finish product (AGE) pathway, polyol pathway, protein kinase C (PCK) and hexosamine pathway.55
Significantly, the AGE accumulation determines a large launch of ROS, which cross-links proteins with consecutive vascular and extravascular construction alterations (Figure 3).
Determine 3 Spectral domain-optical coherence tomography of a proper eye affected by diabetic macular edema (ME). Spongy side of neuroretin (central thickness of 520 µm) and hyperreflectivity of epiretinal membrane.
Furthermore, the nuclear enzyme poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase (PARP) activation after an oxidative insult in PARP-/- mice and diabetic rats has been detected by Chiu et al. Along with this, they noticed NF-kB and endothelin-1 (ET-1) activation.56 Moreover, vascular endothelial progress issue (VEGF), one of many principal angiogenic components implicated in ocular neovascularization as a consequence of ischemia, will increase in DR eyes.57
Wang et al discovered that curcumin determines TNF-α and VEGF discount with a rise in antioxidant enzymes SOD and catalase ranges.58 Kumar et al investigated the function of curcumin on streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats: they noticed an oxidative stress stage discount and curcumin’s means in sustaining the chaperone operate of alpha-crystallin.59 Curcumin can also be capable of inhibit VEGF expression within the retina below hyperglycemic situations.60 Khimmaktong et al noticed the processes of retinal regeneration after curcumin remedy and, notably, they reported a normalization in diabetic microvasculature, with a tortuosity, narrowing and micro-aneurysms discount.61 Then, curcumin might downregulate excessive glucose‑induced inflammatory harm in RPEC, modulating the ROS/PI3K/AKT/mTOR signaling pathway.62
Curcumin efficacy was additionally investigated in power diabetic ME. Mazzolani et al administered curcumin-phospholipid lecithin formulation (iPhytoone®) as tablets (Norflo®) twice a day. After the remedy, visible acuity outcomes improved together with a discount in macular edema.63
Central Serous Chorioretinopathy (CSC)
Central serous chorioretinopathy (CSCR) is a well known retinal illness characterised by a typical retinal serous neurosensory elevation (Figure 4). Normally, the dysfunction is self-limiting, however, typically, a photoreceptor and RPEC harm is acknowledged. These days, the CSCR pathogenesis continues to be unclear however choroid permeability alterations are instructed as the principle underlying occasion.
Determine 4 Retinal angiography of a proper eye affected by recurrent central serous chorioretinopathy (CSC).
Curcumin administered as tablets (Norflo®), a curcumin-phospholipid (lecithin) supply system, was investigated as a possible anti-inflammatory remedy for CSCR in a 12-month follow-up research: all sufferers confirmed a big reversal of visible acuity discount. At present, the suitable therapeutic plan for CSCR administration has not but been deliberate, nonetheless, based on Mazzolani et al the remedy ought to be thought-about in CSCR acute instances which don’t bear spontaneous decision and in power instances.63
Macular Edema (ME) from Unusual Etiologies
The ME, outlined as macular fluid accumulation within the intraretinal and/or subretinal layers, is usually a standard complication of a number of retinal illnesses, akin to AMD, DR and retinal vein occlusion (RVO). However, typically ME is taken into account as because of unusual etiologies akin to postoperative ME (Figure 5) or power CSC.
Determine 5 Retinal angiography of a left eye affected by Irvine Gass syndrome. Macular and parapapillary (temporal edge) edema after cataract surgical procedure in a affected person affected by power glaucoma with excavated and pale optic disc.
A retrospective research evaluated the efficacy and tolerance of a curcumin service in this sort of affected person. Extra intimately, topics exhibiting chronical and symptomatic ME of unknown origin had been enrolled after which administered with a polyvinylpyrrolidone-hydrophilic service (CHC). The protocol consisted of a loading and a sustaining section, thus sufferers beforehand obtained two capsules a day for 1 month after which one capsule every single day for the following 2 months. Every CHC capsule consisted of 60 mg of CurcuWIN Dry Powder 20% (curcuminoids 20–34%, hydrophilic service 60–80%, and pure antioxidants 1–5%). In each situations of ME, CHC demonstrated helpful remedy, so curcumin could be thought-about a probably promising remedy in sophisticated types of ME.64
Within the case of pathological reperfusion harm after retinal ischemia because of a lack of intraocular perfusion stress, consequence of ocular hypertension (Figure 6) or intra/postoperative situations, the protecting function of curcumin on retinal neurons was described by Wang et al. They declare that curcumin is able to inhibiting each the nuclear issue kappa-light-chain-enhancer of activated B cells (NF-kB) and the sign transducer and activator of transcription (STAT3). Subsequently, curcumin blocks or reduces, on Wistar rats, the consecutive overexpression of monocyte chemoattractant protein 1 (MCP-1).65 Curcumin can also be capable of downregulate the c-Jun N-terminal kinase (JNK) expression akin to noticed in retinal neurons and capillaries in stroke spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHR).66
Determine 6 Panels of retinal angiography in central venous thrombosis with ischemic-edema and chorioretinal laser remedy.
Moreover, following retinal ischemia because of central vascular occlusion, or diabetes mellitus, or retinal detachment can come up proliferative vitreoretinopathy (PVR). PVR is sustained by RPEC proliferation and migration, an occasion usually induced by epidermal progress issue (EGF). On this case, curcumin at the perfect focus of 15 µg/mL is completely capable of suppress RPEC proliferation and the optimistic results of curcumin had been assessed evaluating the proliferative membrane and the vitreous opacity which had been considerably lowered within the group of sufferers handled with curcumin as compared with the management group.67
Principal Hereditary Tapeto-Retinal Degenerations
The time period Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP) (MIM#268000) refers to a large group of hereditary progressive and degenerative photoreceptor issues resulting in extreme lack of imaginative and prescient or blindness.68
Generally, the rods are the primary sort of photoreceptors being severely affected and solely at a later time the cones are concerned (Figure 7). The photoreceptors degeneration leads to their apoptosis and, as a consequence, the retina undergoes progressive and irreversible atrophy.69 The RP prevalence is roughly 1:4000, affecting greater than 1 million folks worldwide.70
Many alternative genes are concerned in the identical illness phenotype (genetic heterogeneity); totally different illnesses are capable of decide mutations in every gene (allelic heterogeneity); totally different illnesses are brought on by totally different mutations in the identical gene (phenotypic heterogeneity); totally different people, even amongst members of the identical household, present totally different scientific results, regardless of having the identical gene mutation.71,72
Genetically, it is very important emphasize that the illness is transmitted in several methods with a special phenotypic presentation. As an illustration, X-linked sufferers, who characterize roughly 5–15% of all instances, have a tendency to indicate probably the most extreme RP type, whereas, autosomal recessive RP topics, which account for about 50–60% of all instances, and sufferers exhibiting an autosomal dominant RP type, 30–40% of instances, have a greater situation, notably concerning the development of the illness and the visible prognosis. Moreover, they maintain central imaginative and prescient intact for an extended time frame.69,73
Moreover, RP exists each in syndromic and in non-syndromic types: particularly, the syndromic type of Retinitis Pigmentosa refers to these conditions during which the RP just isn’t remoted, however it’s related to an entire collection of different situations as developmental issues or neurosensory abnormalities. Usher’s syndrome is characterised by RP related to congenital or early onset deafness, whereas in Bardet–Biedl syndrome (BBS), RP is accompanied by developmental delay, kidney issues, weight problems and polydactyly. Typically RP may be associated to mitochondrial or degenerative cerebellar illness.71,74
Completely different research had been carried out to be able to set up curcumin results in RP sufferers. In the meantime it’s vital to look at that the photoreceptors include a organic pigment named Rhodopsin: nearly all of instances of autosomal dominant RP types are as a result of P23H missense mutation of rhodopsin, resulting in an anomalous rhodopsin misfolding which ends up in rhodopsin retaining the endoplasmic reticulum (ER). The insoluble aggregates formation of rhodopsin and their consecutive cell storage finish in cell loss of life.78–80 Khajavi et al found that curcumin prevents the ER retention of myelin protein aggregates, thus it could be a possible remedy for RP.81 These curcumin results have been extensively studied within the transgenic rats affected by the P23H rhodopsin mutation: those who obtained the curcumin remedy from postnatal day 30 (P30) to postnatal day 60 (P60) confirmed a big enchancment when it comes to photoreceptor nuclei layer, photoreceptor outer and interior nuclear layer morphology.82 Particularly, they administered a 100 mg/kg physique weight dose of curcumin and noticed that the latter is ready to cross each the blood mind and blood retina limitations, when administered orally. P23H-R rats confirmed a retinal morphology amelioration with photoreceptor preservation. Furthermore, an enchancment in rod and cone particular genes ranges of expression was assessed after curcumin administration.82 The curcumin results towards photoreceptor apoptosis, induced by the ROS generator methyl-N-nitrosourea (MNU), had been additionally examined in a Sprague-Dawley rat mannequin by Emoto et al. Extra intimately, three days previous to the MNU administration they injected doses of 100 or 200 mg/kg curcumin. A retinal harm discount restricted to central retina part after 200 mg/kg curcumin remedy was noticed. Furthermore, ranges of 8-hydroxy-2’-deoxyguanosine as oxidative stress parameter had been quantified, leading to comparable numbers to the management group, demonstrating an oxidative harm discount.83
Lastly, curcumin prenatal safety in a Professional-23-His (P23H) rhodopsin mutation swine mannequin was studied by Scott et al. They fed the sows 100 mg/kg body weight/day of curcumin as much as two days previous to parturition. Then, Scott et al enucleated the embryos: the curcumin was capable of stop outer nuclear layer (ONL) and interior nuclear layer (INL) thinning. Moreover, according to Vasireddy, Scott et al highlighted the curcumin properties of stopping photoreceptor morphological adjustments.84
Greatest dystrophy (BD), also called greatest vitelliform macular dystrophy (BVMD), is taken into account a type of macular degeneration usually presenting with a juvenile-onset and characterised by central visible loss. Thus far no remedy is obtainable: in 2019 Lin et al picked up BD patient-derived dental pulp stromal cells, then induced them to de-differentiate into pluripotent stem cells (BD-iPSCs) and, lastly, these cells had been stimulated to distinguish into retinal pigment epithelial cells (BD-RPEC). The BD-RPEC confirmed a decrease expression of each Bestrophin-1 (BEST1) and tight junction protein ZO-1 when put next with RPEC from management topics. They noticed that curcumin might considerably improve the mRNA expression ranges of BEST1 gene in BD-iPSC-derived RPEC. Furthermore, curcumin-loaded PLGA nanoparticles (Cur-NPs) might decide an augmentation within the expression of antioxidant enzymes with a lower of ROS manufacturing.85
Retinal and Choroidal Tumors
Concerning the retinal and choroidal tumors, notably the retinoblastoma, brought on by the inactivation of the RB1 gene, a tumor suppressor gene, Li et al discovered that curcumin is ready to inhibit RB cells’ proliferation and migration in addition to induce their apoptosis, even when curcumin results on retinoblastoma (Rb) are at the moment nonetheless unclear.86,87
Extra intimately, curcumin appears to find out the Janus kinase-signal transducer and activator of the transcription (JAK/STAT) signaling pathway inactivation, due to microRNA-99, because of its lack in microRNA-99a-silenced cells. Li et al studied these results on SO-Rb50 and Y79 cells, retinoblastoma cell strains, the place this compound downregulates the migratory capacities of the retinoblastoma cells.86
The first limitation of curcumin is represented by its poor bioavailability, actually solely a minimal fraction of this substance can attain the blood stream within the type of a biologically energetic compound: subsequently, thus far, the best efforts are aimed toward discovering options to treatment this main restriction.
In depth researches have demonstrated that prime doses (>3.6 g/day in people) are wanted to acquire any therapeutic results,88 proved by many various research: Wahlstrom and Blennow in 1978 reported a minimal curcumin stage improve within the blood of Sprague-Dawley rats who obtained an oral administration of curcumin (1 g/kg) as a consequence of its intestine lowered absorption.89 Equally, Yang et al referred to most serum curcumin ranges of 0.36 μg/mL after 10 mg/kg of curcumin administered intravenously in rats.90 With a view to improve curcumin bioavailability, totally different approaches have been tried, akin to curcumin analogs and enhancers in addition to supply techniques synthesis. All these makes an attempt to enhance the bioavailability of curcumin will now be examined intimately.
Quite a few curcumin analogs have been synthetized to ameliorate the issues linked to curcumin molecular construction being liable for its lowered disposability and primarily linked to the excessive reactivity of the β-diketone element of its construction.91
Wang et al developed the prodrug diphosphorylated curcumin (Cur-2p) adopted by its subsequent enzymatic activation: they obtained a big enchancment when it comes to molecular stability within the aqueous media.92 Equally, Muangnoi et al in contrast the anti-oxidant properties of Cur prodrug curcumin diethyl disuccinate (CurDD) towards curcumin in relation to oxidative stress induced in human ARPE-19 cells: they referred that each of them are capable of exert a protecting impact towards oxidative harm by modulating totally different apoptotic signaling pathway as p44/42 (ERK) with consecutive downregulation of effector molecules Bcl2 and Bax, however, CurDD, a prodrug ester type of Cur, exhibits a greater protecting impact, thus it might be an fascinating various therapeutic agent particularly within the case of AMD.52
Different analogues of curcumin have been examined in several fields: as an illustration WZ35, a by-product of curcumin, exhibits a stronger antitumor exercise than curcumin and, notably, it is ready to downregulate glycolysis. It has been studied as a promising gastric and breast most cancers remedy, contemplating its means to cut back tumoral cells proliferation, so it might even be a possible molecule to be thought-about within the remedy of retinal and choroidal tumors.93,94
“Bioavailability enhancers” discuss with the compounds capable of enhance the disposability of a number of substances: that is the case of piperine with regard to curcumin. Particularly, piperine, one in all black pepper’s parts, when administered along with curcumin, is ready to enhance its oral bioavailability.95 Piperine performs this exercise by lowering curcumin hepatic and intestinal glucuronidation:32 Shoba et al noticed that when curcumin was administered to rats alone within the dose 2 g/kg, the curcumin serum focus was average, whereas, when administered along with piperine 20 mg/kg, blood ranges of curcumin elevated. In people, when given with out piperine, curcumin serum focus was undetectable Conversely, when given in affiliation to piperine 20 mg, the rise in bioavailability was 2000%.96
Curcumin Supply Programs (Table 1)
At present, researchers are attempting to develop new curcumin carriers, exploiting the advances achieved within the area of nanotechnology: notably, nanocarrier supply techniques consisting of nanoparticles, capable of ameliorate some molecular properties akin to bioavailability, solubility and stability in aqueous media.97
Desk 1 Forms of Curcumin (Cur) Supply Programs and Authors (in Daring)
The primary FDA accredited nanocarriers had been liposomes:98 they’re spherical bilayer vesicles presenting within the middle an aqueous nucleus. Generally it presents a dimension roughly between 25−1000 nm.99,100
Liposomes, outlined as single unilamellar vesicles (SUVs), massive unilamellar vesicles (LUVs) and multilamellar vesicles (MLVs) relying on the molecular construction, present nice benefits being each non-immunogenic and non-toxic.
Extra not too long ago, Cur-loaded liposomal formulations have been realized: as an illustration, Shi et al synthetized curcumin-loaded liposomes (Lipo-cur) consisting of ldl cholesterol and lecithin.101 On this case the aim was to make use of the curcumin radioprotective properties throughout irradiation within the irradiated mice. Along with liposomes, the researchers developed polymeric micelles within the late Eighties.102 Structurally, the micelles include each hydrophilic and hydrophobic components: quite a few amphiphilic polymers had been used for this goal, akin to poly(ethylene glycol) (PEG) and chitosan and polyvinyl pyrrolidone (PVP). As hydrophobic supplies there are totally different potentialities, poly (lactic acid) (PLA), distearoyl phosphoethanolamine (DSPE), dioleoyl phosphatidylethanolamine (DOPE) and vitamin E, and all of them can be utilized to appreciate the micelles core. In ophthalmology a sort of combined micelle in situ gelling system of curcumin (Cur-MM-ISG) was ready and confirmed the power of remaining on the corneal floor.102–106,
Conversely, Alshamrani et al developed an aqueous nanomicellar drop formulation of curcumin (CUR-NMF) using hydrogenated castor oil (HCO-40) and octoxynol-40 (OC-40) to be able to deal with AMD.107
Davis et al used a non-ionic surfactant referred to as D-α-tocopherol polyethene glycol 1000 succinate (TPGS) that permits secure micelles formation when its concentrations are better than 0.02% w/w48. TPGS was related to a copolymer surfactant named Pluronic F127. This latter substance consists of hydrophobic and hydrophilic polyoxyethylene teams. They demonstrated that these nanoparticles had been capable of defend RCG soma in vivo towards ocular hypertension, subsequently exhibiting a neuroprotective impact.108 Equally, Duan et al developed an ion-sensitive curcumin-loaded Pluronic P123 (P123)/D-a-tocopheryl polyethylene glycol succinate (TPGS) combined micelle in situ gels (CUR-MM-ISGs) to ensure an extended corneal permeability and retention time.109
Lately, probably the most curcumin promising supply techniques was represented by a brand new amphiphilic polymer polyvinyl caprolactam-polyvinyl acetate-polyethylene glycol graft copolymer (PVCL-PVA-PEG, Soluplus®). This service consists of a hydrophilic half, represented by a polyethylene glycol (PEG) spine, and a lipophilic, half expressed by vinylcaprolactam/vinyl acetate facet chains as lipophilic construction. Subsequently, curcumin is loaded onto PVCL-PVA-PEG nanomicelles, obtained due to a peculiar solvent evaporation/movie hydration methodology.96
Polymeric nanoparticles, strong colloidal particles, characterize one other technique: a number of pure and artificial polymers have been used to synthetize polymeric nanoparticles, akin to chitosan (CS), PLGA, polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) and poly(butyl cyanoacrylate) (PBCA).96,110–112
Lou et al elaborated a posh in situ gel formulation consisting of curcumin-loaded albumin nanoparticles (Cur-BSA-NPs-Gel), a helpful methodology by which it’s potential to optimize curcumin bioavailability in aqueous humour as demonstrated each in rabbits and in human eyes.113
Extra not too long ago porous supplies, like mesoporous silica nanoparticles (MSNs), have additionally been used as curcumin autos, as reported by a number of research,114–119 nonetheless, until now there’s nonetheless no use of them within the area of ophthalmology.
In one other research, some researchers included alginate (AGT) with curcumin to be able to develop a hydrogel primarily based system CCI/AGT capable of anchor RPEC in it. They noticed that the system CCI/AGT might improve RPEC regeneration as compared with the pure AGT hydrogel. They proposed using this construction as a help for implantation of retinal tissue engineering.120
Because of their quite a few properties as biocompatibility, biodegradability and non-immunogenicity, proteins turned a sound possibility as nanoparticles for curcumin supply, as an illustration bovine serum albumin (BSA), ovalbumin (OVA), human serum albumin (HSA), and silk fibroin (SF) nanoparticles.121–123
As well as, strong lipid nanoparticles (SLNs) characterize a colloidal drug supply system characterised by the presence of biodegradable strong lipids. The curcumin is embedded within the lipid core of the SLN: this form of encapsulation has been extensively used.124
It nonetheless value remembering amongst curcumin supply techniques cyclodextrins, outlined as cyclic oligosaccharides exhibiting a peculiar construction of hole truncated cone, nanogels and nanocrystals. Concerning cyclodextrins, in 2010 using cyclodextrins to ensure an sufficient administration of curcumin as an ophthalmic drop and it was found its utility in figuring out a seletine-induced cataract discount in rats.125,126
Nearly all of those final methods haven’t but been examined within the eye, subsequently this may most likely characterize a future problem for ophthalmologists. Nonetheless, different approaches have been tried: Zhang et al developed a biodegradable curcumin-loaded scleral plug for posterior ocular illnesses remedy and so they experimented with this method in rabbit’s eyes, suggesting that on this manner it’s potential to keep up a excessive focus of curcumin each in vitro and in vivo.127
An extra risk is represented by a curcumin-phospholipid lecithin formulation, which appears to have the ability to ameliorate visible acuity and cut back ME in DR sufferers when administered as tablets twice a day, along with different methods akin to nanogels and nanocrystals.128–132
Conclusions: What Prospects for the Future?
Thus far, a number of research recommend that oral remedy with curcumin is mostly properly tolerated in people and, at the moment, side-effects haven’t been noticed.
This situation could also be defined contemplating that the curcumin dose utilized in scientific trials is decrease than the dose reported within the in vitro/in vivo mannequin, in addition to the truth that this substance is generally subjected to intensive metabolism in gut and liver with low plasma and tissue curcumin ranges.133
Some limitations concerning using curcumin are attributable, as beforehand talked about, to the lowered bioavailability of this molecule and to its potential toxicity below particular situations. As an illustration, curcumin appears to trigger DNA alterations when used at concentrations much like these essential to exert its helpful results, each with in vitro and in vivo research. Subsequently, on this regard, some authors emphasize better warning earlier than contemplating curcumin as secure when its security has not but been undoubtedly confirmed.133
Curcumin is a promising candidate as a retinal illnesses remedy. The advantages are often seen after a interval of some weeks of remedy, particularly in power eye illnesses akin to diabetic retinopathy, maculopathy, ischemic retinopathy, glaucoma, and so forth. These results are primarily because of its properties as an anti-oxidant and anti inflammatory molecule, although the exact mechanism underlying the helpful results of curcumin on retinal illnesses nonetheless stays unclear.5
Nonetheless, as mentioned earlier, thus far the principle subject, solely partially solved, issues the potential methods for use to be able to enhance the bioavailability of the molecule. On this sense, many steps ahead have been made, each in ophthalmology and in different fields: subsequently, sooner or later it’s anticipated that the methods developed thus far to permit curcumin to achieve the goal tissues in sufficient concentrations might be ameliorated and, above all, massive in vivo research on people are wanted to reveal the full security of those compounds and their effectiveness each in several retinal pathologies and, on the whole, in eye illnesses.
The editorial help was funded by Eye Pharma S.p.A. Genova-Italy. The authors report no different conflicts of curiosity on this work.
1. López-Malo D, Villarón-Casares CA, Alarcón-Jiménez J, et al. Curcumin as a Therapeutic Choice in Retinal Ailments. Antioxidants. 2020;9(1):48. doi:10.3390/antiox9010048
2. Rodríguez Castaño P, Parween S, Pandey AV. Bioactivity of Curcumin on the Cytochrome P450 Enzymes of the Steroidogenic Pathway. Int J Mol Sci. 2019;20(18):4606. doi:10.3390/ijms20184606.
3. Mirzaee F, Hosseinzadeh L, Ashrafi-Kooshk MR, et al. Various Results of Completely different “Protein-Based mostly” Automobiles on the Stability and Bioavailability of Curcumin: spectroscopic Analysis of the Antioxidant Exercise and Cytotoxicity In Vitro. Protein Pept Lett. 2019;26(2):132–147. doi:10.2174/0929866525666181114152242.
4. Perrone D, Ardito F, Giannatempo G, et al. Organic and therapeutic actions, and anticancer properties of curcumin. Exp Ther Med. 2015;10(5):1615–1623. doi:10.3892/etm.2015.2749
5. Pescosolido N, Giannotti R, Plateroti AM, Pascarella A, Nebbioso M. Curcumin: therapeutical potential in ophthalmology. Planta Med. 2014;80(4):249–254. doi:10.1055/s-0033-1351074
6. Deogade S, Ghate S. Curcumın: therapeutıc applıcatıons in systemıc and oral well being. Int J Biol Pharm Res. 2015;6(4):281–290.
7. Gupta SC, Kismali G, Aggarwal BB. Curcumin, a element of turmeric: from farm to pharmacy. Biofactors. 2013;39(1):2–13. doi:10.1002/biof.1079
8. Ammon HP, Wahl MA. Pharmacology of Curcuma longa. Planta Med. 1991;57(1):1–7. doi:10.1055/s-2006-960004
9. Takahashi M, Ishiko T, Kamohara H, et al. Curcumin (1,7-bis(4-hydroxy-3-methoxyphenyl)-1,6-heptadiene-3,5-dione) blocks the chemotaxis of neutrophils by inhibiting sign transduction by means of IL-8 receptors. Mediators Inflamm. 2007;2007:10767. doi:10.1155/2007/10767
10. Lestari ML, Indrayanto G. Curcumin. Profiles Drug Subst Excip Relat Methodol. 2014;39:113–204. doi:10.1016/B978-0-12-800173-8.00003-9
11. Mahady GB, Pendland SL, Yun G, Lu ZZ. Turmeric (Curcuma longa) and curcumin inhibit the expansion of Helicobacter pylori, a bunch 1 carcinogen. Anticancer Res. 2002;22(6C):4179–4181.
12. Reddy DNK, Huang FY, Wang SP, Kumar R. Synergistic antioxidant and antibacterial exercise of curcumin-C3 encapsulated chitosan nanoparticles. Curr Pharm Des. 2020;26(39):5021–5029. doi:10.2174/1381612826666200609164830
13. Anand P, Kunnumakkara AB, Newman RA, Aggarwal BB. Bioavailability of curcumin: issues and guarantees. Mol Pharm. 2007;4(6):807–818. doi:10.1021/mp700113r
14. Payton F, Sandusky P, Alworth WL. NMR research of the answer construction of curcumin. J Nat Prod. 2007;70(2):143–146. doi:10.1021/np060263s
15. Radomska-Leśniewska DM, Osiecka-Iwan A, Hyc A, Góźdź A, Dąbrowska AM, Skopiński P. Therapeutic potential of curcumin in eye illnesses. Cent Eur J Immunol. 2019;44(2):181–189. doi:10.5114/ceji.2019.87070
16. Srinivas C, Prabhakaran KV. Haridra (curcuma longa) and its impact on abhisayanda (conjunctivitis). Anc Sci Life. 1989;8(3–4):279–282.
17. Awasthi S, Srivatava SK, Piper JT, Singhal SS, Chaubey M, Awasthi YC. Curcumin protects towards 4-hydroxy-2-trans-nonenal-induced cataract formation in rat lenses. Am J Clin Nutr. 1996;64(5):761–766. doi:10.1093/ajcn/64.5.761.
18. Lal B, Kapoor AK, Asthana OP, et al. Efficacy of curcumin within the administration of power anterior uveitis. Phytother Res. 1999;13(4):318–322. doi:10.1002/(SICI)1099-1573(199906)13:4<318:AID-PTR445>3.0.CO;2-7
19. Wang LL, Solar Y, Huang Okay, Zheng L. Curcumin, a possible therapeutic candidate for retinal illnesses. Mol Nutr Meals Res. 2013;57(9):1557–1568. doi:10.1002/mnfr.201200718
20. Noorafshan A, Ashkani-Esfahani S. A overview of therapeutic results of curcumin. Curr Pharm Des. 2013;19(11):2032–2046.
21. Masuda T, Hidaka Okay, Shinohara A, Maekawa T, Takeda Y, Yamaguchi H. Chemical research on antioxidant mechanism of curcuminoid: evaluation of radical response merchandise from curcumin. J Agric Meals Chem. 1999;47(1):71–77. doi:10.1021/jf9805348
22. Wang YJ, Pan MH, Cheng AL, et al. Stability of curcumin in buffer options and characterization of its degradation merchandise. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 1997;15(12):1867–1876. doi:10.1016/s0731-7085(96)02024-9
23. Guo LY, Cai XF, Lee JJ, et al. Comparability of suppressive results of demethoxycurcumin and bisdemethoxycurcumin on expressions of inflammatory mediators in vitro and in vivo. Arch Pharm Res. 2008;31(4):490–496. doi:10.1007/s12272-001-1183-8
24. Kocaadam B, Şanlier N. Curcumin, an energetic element of turmeric (Curcuma longa), and its results on well being. Crit Rev Meals Sci Nutr. 2017;57(13):2889–2895. doi:10.1080/10408398.2015.1077195
25. Priyadarsini KI. The chemistry of curcumin: from extraction to therapeutic agent. Molecules. 2014;19(12):20091–20112. doi:10.3390/molecules191220091
26. Peddada KV, Brown A, Verma V, Nebbioso M. Therapeutic potential of curcumin in main retinal pathologies. Int Ophthalmol. 2019;39(3):725–734. doi:10.1007/s10792-018-0845-y
27. Gupta SK, Kumar B, Nag TC, et al. Curcumin prevents experimental diabetic retinopathy in rats by means of its hypoglycemic, antioxidant, and anti inflammatory mechanisms. J Ocul Pharmacol Ther. 2011;27(2):123–130. doi:10.1089/jop.2010.0123
28. Singh S, Aggarwal BB. Activation of transcription issue NF-kappa B is suppressed by curcumin (diferuloylmethane) [corrected]. J Biol Chem. 1995;270(42):24995–25000. doi:10.1074/jbc.270.42.24995
29. Shishodia S, Sethi G, Aggarwal BB. Curcumin: getting again to the roots. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2005;1056:206–217. doi:10.1196/annals.1352.010
30. Devasagayam TP, Sainis KB. Immune system and antioxidants, particularly these derived from Indian medicinal crops. Indian J Exp Biol. 2002;40(6):639–655.
31. Amor S, Puentes F, Baker D, van der Valk P. Irritation in neurodegenerative illnesses. Immunology. 2010;129(2):147–309. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2567.2009.03225.x
32. Aggarwal BB, Harikumar KB. Potential therapeutic results of curcumin, the anti-inflammatory agent, towards neurodegenerative, cardiovascular, pulmonary, metabolic, autoimmune and neoplastic illnesses. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2009;41(1):40–59. doi:10.1016/j.biocel.2008.06.010
33. Priyadarsini KI. Free radical reactions of curcumin in membrane fashions. Free Radic Biol Med. 1997;23(6):838–843. doi:10.1016/s0891-5849(97)00026-9
34. Gorman AA, Hamblett I, Srinivasan VS, Wooden PD. Curcumin-derived transients: a pulsed laser and pulse radiolysis research. Photochem Photobiol. 1994;59(4):389–398. doi:10.1111/j.1751-1097.1994.tb05053.x
35. Sugiyama Y, Kawakishi S, Osawa T. Involvement of the beta-diketone moiety within the antioxidative mechanism of tetrahydrocurcumin. Biochem Pharmacol. 1996;52(4):519–525. doi:10.1016/0006-2952(96)00302-4
36. Jovanovic SV, Boone CW, Steenken S, Trinoga M, Kaskey RB. How curcumin works preferentially with water soluble antioxidants. J Am Chem Soc. 2001;123(13):3064–3068. doi:10.1021/ja003823x
37. Litwinienko G, Ingold KU. Irregular solvent results on hydrogen atom abstraction. 2. Decision of the curcumin antioxidant controversy. The function of sequential proton loss electron switch. J Org Chem. 2004;69(18):5888–5896. doi:10.1021/jo049254j
38. Ushio-Fukai M, Alexander RW. Reactive oxygen species as mediators of angiogenesis signaling: function of NAD(P)H oxidase. Mol Cell Biochem. 2004;264(1–2):85–97. doi:10.1023/B:MCBI.0000044378.09409.b5
39. Chen WH, Chen Y, Cui GH. Results of TNF-alpha and curcumin on the expression of VEGF in Raji and U937 cells and on angiogenesis in ECV304 cells. Chin Med J. 2005;118(24):2052–2057.
40. Millanta F, Citi S, Della Santa D, Porciani M, Poli A. COX-2 expression in canine and feline invasive mammary carcinomas: correlation with clinicopathological options and prognostic molecular markers. Breast Most cancers Res Deal with. 2006;98(1):115–120. doi:10.1007/s10549-005-9138-z.
41. Yoysungnoen P, Wirachwong P, Changtam C, Suksamrarn A, Patumraj S. Anti-cancer and anti-angiogenic results of curcumin and tetrahydrocurcumin on implanted hepatocellular carcinoma in nude mice. World J Gastroenterol. 2008;14(13):2003–2009. doi:10.3748/wjg.14.2003
42. Li L, Braiteh FS, Kurzrock R. Liposome-encapsulated curcumin: in vitro and in vivo results on proliferation, apoptosis, signaling, and angiogenesis. Most cancers. 2005;104(6):1322–1331. doi:10.1002/cncr.21300
43. Ravindran J, Prasad S, Aggarwal BB. Curcumin and most cancers cells: what number of methods can curry kill tumor cells selectively? AAPS J. 2009;11(3):495–510. doi:10.1208/s12248-009-9128-x.
44. Maheshwari RK, Singh AK, Gaddipati J, Srimal RC. A number of organic actions of curcumin: a brief overview. Life Sci. 2006;78(18):2081–2087. doi:10.1016/j.lfs.2005.12.007
45. Devassy JG, Nwachukwu ID, Jones PJ. Curcumin and most cancers: limitations to acquiring a well being declare. Nutr Rev. 2015;73(3):155–165. doi:10.1093/nutrit/nuu064
46. Sidhu GS, Singh AK, Thaloor D, et al. Enhancement of wound therapeutic by curcumin in animals. Wound Restore Regen. 1998;6(2):167–177. doi:10.1046/j.1524-475x.1998.60211.x
47. Munia I, Gafray L, Bringer MA, et al. Cytoprotective results of pure extremely bio-available vegetable derivatives on human-derived retinal cells. Vitamins. 2020;12(3):879. doi:10.3390/nu12030879
48. Lal B, Kapoor AK, Asthana OP, et al. Efficacy of curcumin within the administration of power anterior uveitis. Phytother Res. 1999;13(4):318–322. doi:10.1002/(SICI)1099-1573(199906)13:
49. Allegri P, Mastromarino A, Neri P. Administration of power anterior uveitis relapses: efficacy of oral phospholipidic curcumin remedy. Lengthy-Time period Observe-Up Clin Ophthalmol. 2010;4:1201–1206. doi:10.2147/OPTH.S13271.
50. Miserocchi E, Giuffrè C, Cicinelli MV, et al. Oral phospholipidic curcumin in juvenile idiopathic arthritis-associated uveitis. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2019:1120672119892804. doi:10.1177/1120672119892804
51. Mandal MN, Patlolla JM, Zheng L, et al. Curcumin protects retinal cells from light-and oxidant stress-induced cell loss of life. Free Radic Biol Med. 2009;46(5):672–679. doi:10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2008.12.006
52. Muangnoi C, Sharif U. Protecting results of curcumin ester prodrug, curcumin diethyl disuccinate towards H2O2-induced oxidative stress in human retinal pigment epithelial cells: potential therapeutic avenues for age-related macular degeneration. Int J Mol Sci. 2019;20(13):3367. doi:10.3390/ijms20133367
53. Ciulla TA, Amador AG, Zinman B. Diabetic retinopathy and diabetic macular edema: pathophysiology, screening, and novel therapies. Diabetes Care. 2003;26(9):2653–2664. doi:10.2337/diacare.26.9.2653
54. Cheung N, Wong IY, Wong TY. Ocular anti-VEGF remedy for diabetic retinopathy: overview of scientific efficacy and evolving purposes. Diabetes Care. 2014;37(4):900–905. doi:10.2337/dc13-1990
55. Kowluru RA, Kanwar M. Results of curcumin on retinal oxidative stress and irritation in diabetes. Nutr Metab. 2007;4:8. doi:10.1186/1743-7075-4-8
56. Chiu J, Xu BY, Chen S, Feng B, Chakrabarti S. Oxidative stress-induced, poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-dependent upregulation of ET-1 expression in power diabetic issues. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2008;86(6):365–372. doi:10.1139/Y08-033
57. Premanand C, Rema M, Sameer MZ, Sujatha M, Balasubramanyam M. Impact of curcumin on proliferation of human retinal endothelial cells below in vitro situations. Make investments Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2006;47(5):2179–2184. doi:10.1167/iovs.05-0580
58. Wang C, Nie H, Li Okay, et al. Curcumin inhibits HMGB1 releasing and attenuates concanavalin A-induced hepatitis in mice. Eur J Pharmacol. 2012;697(1–3):152–157. doi:10.1016/j.ejphar.2012.09.050
59. Kumar PA, Haseeb A, Suryanarayana P, Ehtesham NZ, Reddy GB. Elevated expression of alphaA- and alphaB-crystallins in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rat. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2005;444(2):77–83. doi:10.1016/j.abb.2005.09.021
60. Mrudula T, Suryanarayana P, Srinivas PNBS, Reddy GB. Impact of curcumin on hyperglycemia-induced vascular endothelial progress issue expression in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rat retina. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;361(2):528–532. doi:10.1016/j.bbrc.2007.07.059
61. Khimmaktong W, Petpiboolthai H, Sriya P, Anupunpisit V. Results of curcumin on restoration and enchancment of microvasculature attribute in diabetic rat’s choroid of eye. J Med Assoc Thai. 2014;97(Suppl 2):S39–46.
62. Ran Z, Zhang Y, Wen X, Ma J. Curcumin inhibits excessive glucose induced inflammatory harm in human retinal pigment epithelial cells by means of the ROS PI3K/AKT/mTOR signaling pathway. Mol Med Rep. 2019;19(2):1024–1031. doi:10.3892/mmr.2018.9749
63. Mazzolani F, Togni S. Oral administration of a curcumin-phospholipid supply system for the remedy of central serous chorioretinopathy: a 12-month follow-up research. Clin Ophthalmol. 2013;7:939–945. doi:10.2147/OPTH.S45820
64. Ferrara M, Allegrini D, Sorrentino T, et al. Curcumin-based remedy for macular edema from unusual etiologies: efficacy and security evaluation. J Med Meals. 2020;23(8):834–840. doi:10.1089/jmf.2019.0241
65. Wang L, Li C, Guo H, Kern TS, Huang Okay, Zheng L. Curcumin inhibits neuronal and vascular degeneration in retina after ischemia and reperfusion harm. PLoS One. 2011;6(8):e23194. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0023194
66. Wang S, Ye Q, Tu J, Zhang M, Ji B. Curcumin protects towards hypertension aggravated retinal ischemia/reperfusion in a rat stroke mannequin. Clin Exp Hypertens. 2017;39(8):711–717. doi:10.1080/10641963.2017.1313854
67. Ren YX, Ma JX, Zhao F, An JB, Geng YX, Liu LY. Results of curcumin on epidermal progress consider proliferative vitreoretinopathy. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2018;47(5):2136–2146. doi:10.1159/000491525
68. Khan MI, Kersten FF, Azam M, et al. CLRN1 mutations trigger nonsyndromic retinitis pigmentosa. Ophthalmology. 2011;118(7):1444–1448. doi:10.1016/j.ophtha.2010.10.047
69. Limoli PG, Vingolo EM, Limoli C, Nebbioso M. Antioxidant and organic properties of mesenchymal cells used for remedy in retinitis pigmentosa. Antioxidants. 2020;9(10):E983. doi:10.3390/antiox9100983
70. Pagon RA. Retinitis pigmentosa. Surv Ophthalmol. 1988;33(3):137–177. doi:10.1016/0039-6257(88)90085-9
71. Daiger SP, Sullivan LS, Bowne SJ. Genes and mutations inflicting retinitis pigmentosa. Clin Genet. 2013;84(2):132–141. doi:10.1111/cge.12203
72. Hartong DT, Berson EL, Dryja TP. Retinitis pigmentosa. Lancet. 2006;368(9549):1795–1809. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(06)69740-7
73. Hamel C. Retinitis pigmentosa. Orphanet J Uncommon Dis. 2006;1(1):40. doi:10.1186/1750-1172-1-40
74. Grover S, Fishman GA, Alexander KR, Anderson RJ, Derlacki DJ. Visible acuity impairment in sufferers with retinitis pigmentosa. Ophthalmology. 1996;103(10):1593–1600. doi:10.1016/s0161-6420(96)30458-2
75. McCulloch DL, Marmor MF, Brigell MG, et al. ISCEV Commonplace for full-field scientific electroretinography (2015 replace). Doc Ophthalmol. 2015;130(1):1–12. doi:10.1007/s10633-014-9473-7
76. Liu G, Liu X, Li H, Du Q, Wang F. Optical coherence tomographic evaluation of retina in retinitis pigmentosa sufferers. Ophthalmic Res. 2016;56(3):111–122. doi:10.1159/000445063
77. Smith LE. Bone marrow-derived stem cells protect cone imaginative and prescient in retinitis pigmentosa. J Clin Make investments. 2004;114(6):755–757. doi:10.1172/JCI22930
78. Dryja TP, Li T. Molecular genetics of retinitis pigmentosa. Hum Mol Genet. 1995;4:1739–1743. doi:10.1093/hmg/4.suppl_1.1739
79. Illing ME, Rajan RS, Bence NF, Kopito RR. A rhodopsin mutant linked to autosomal dominant retinitis pigmentosa is vulnerable to combination and interacts with the ubiquitin proteasome system. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:34150–34160. doi:10.1074/jbc.M204955200
80. Saliba RS, Munro PM, Luthert PJ, Cheetham ME. The mobile destiny of mutant rhodopsin: high quality management, degradation and aggresome formation. J Cell Sci. 2002;115(Pt 14):2907–2918. doi:10.1242/jcs.115.14.2907
81. Khajavi M, Shiga Okay, Wiszniewski W, et al. Oral curcumin mitigates the scientific and neuropathologic phenotype of the trembler-J mouse: a possible remedy for inherited neuropathy. Am J Hum Genet. 2007;81(3):438–453. doi:10.1086/519926
82. Vasireddy V, Chavali VR, Joseph VT, et al. Rescue of photoreceptor degeneration by curcumin in transgenic rats with P23H rhodopsin mutation. PLoS One. 2011;6(6):e21193. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0021193
83. Emoto Y, Yoshizawa Okay, Uehara N, et al. Curcumin suppresses N-methyl-N-nitrosourea-induced photoreceptor apoptosis in Sprague-Dawley rats. Vivo. 2013;27(5):583–590.
84. Scott PA, Kaplan HJ, McCall MA. Prenatal publicity to curcumin protects rod photoreceptors in a transgenic Pro23His Swine mannequin of retinitis pigmentosa. Transl Vis Sci Technol. 2015;4(5):5. doi:10.1167/tvst.4.5.5
85. Lin TC, Lin YY, Hsu CC, et al. Nanomedicine-based curcumin strategy improved ros harm in greatest dystrophy-specific induced pluripotent stem cells. Cell Transplant. 2019;28(11):1345–1357. doi:10.1177/0963689719860130
86. Li Y, Solar W, Han N, Zou Y, Yin D. Curcumin inhibits proliferation, migration, invasion and promotes apoptosis of retinoblastoma cell strains by means of modulation of miR-99a and JAK/STAT pathway. BMC Most cancers. 2018;18(1):1230. doi:10.1186/s12885-018-5130-y
87. Bar-Sela G, Epelbaum R, Schaffer M. Curcumin as an anti-cancer agent: overview of the hole between fundamental and scientific purposes. Curr Med Chem. 2010;17(3):190–197. doi:10.2174/092986710790149738
88. Sharma RA, Steward WP, Gescher AJ. Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of curcumin. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2007;595:453–470. doi:10.1007/978-0-387-46401-5_20
89. Wahlström B, Blennow G. A research on the destiny of curcumin within the rat. Acta Pharmacol Toxicol. 1978;43(2):86–92. doi:10.1111/j.1600-0773.1978.tb02240.x
90. Yang KY, Lin LC, Tseng TY, Wang SC, Tsai TH. Oral bioavailability of curcumin in rat and the natural evaluation from Curcuma longa by LC-MS/MS. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2007;853(1–2):183–189. doi:10.1016/j.jchromb.2007.03.010
91. Noureddin SA, El-Shishtawy RM, Al-Footy KO. Curcumin analogues and their hybrid molecules as multifunctional medication. Eur J Med Chem. 2019;182:111631. doi:10.1016/j.ejmech.2019.111631
92. Wang J, Xiong T, Zhou J, et al. Enzymatic formation of curcumin in vitro and in vivo. Nano Res. 2018;11:3453–3461. doi:10.1007/s12274-018-1994-z
93. Chen Y, Lu Y, Lee RJ, Xiang G. Nano encapsulated curcumin: and its potential for biomedical purposes. Int J Nanomedicine. 2020;15:3099–3120. doi:10.2147/IJN.S210320
94. Wang L, Wang C, Tao Z, et al. Curcumin by-product WZ35 inhibits tumor cell progress through ROS-YAP-JNK signaling pathway in breast most cancers. J Exp Clin Most cancers Res. 2019;38(1):460. doi:10.1186/s13046-019-1424-4
95. Ohori H, Yamakoshi H, Tomizawa M, et al. Synthesis and organic evaluation of recent curcumin analogues bearing an enhanced potential for the medicinal remedy of most cancers. Mol Most cancers Ther. 2006;5(10):2563–2571. doi:10.1158/1535-7163.MCT-06-0174
96. Shoba G, Pleasure D, Joseph T, Majeed M, Rajendran R, Srinivas PS. Affect of piperine on the pharmacokinetics of curcumin in animals and human volunteers. Planta Med. 1998;64(4):353–356. doi:10.1055/s-2006-957450
97. Li M, Xin M, Guo C, Lin G, Wu X. New nanomicelle curcumin formulation for ocular supply: improved stability, solubility, and ocular anti-inflammatory remedy. Drug Dev Ind Pharm. 2017;43(11):1846–1857. doi:10.1080/03639045.2017.1349787
98. Barenholz Y. Doxil®–the first FDA-approved nano-drug: classes discovered. J Management Launch. 2012;160(2):117–134. doi:10.1016/j.jconrel.2012.03.020
99. Zhang W, Ma W, Zhang J, Tune X, Solar W, Fan Y. The immunoregulatory actions of astragalus polysaccharide liposome on macrophages and dendritic cells. Int J Biol Macromol. 2017;105(Pt 1):852–861. doi:10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2017.07.108
100. Sadeghi R, Razzaghdoust A, Bakhshandeh M, Nasirinezhad F, Mofid B. Nanocurcumin as a radioprotective agent towards radiation-induced mortality in mice. Nanomed J. 2019;6(1):43–49.
101. Shi HS, Gao X, Li D, et al. A systemic administration of liposomal curcumin inhibits radiation pneumonitis and sensitizes lung carcinoma to radiation. Int J Nanomedicine. 2012;7:2601–2611. doi:10.2147/IJN.S31439
102. Cabral H, Kataoka Okay. Progress of drug-loaded polymeric micelles into scientific research. J Management Launch. 2014;190:465–476. doi:10.1016/j.jconrel.2014.06.042
103. Kheiri Manjili H, Ghasemi P, Malvandi H, Mousavi MS, Attari E, Danafar H. Pharmacokinetics and in vivo supply of curcumin by copolymeric mPEG-PCL micelles. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2017;116:17–30. doi:10.1016/j.ejpb.2016.10.003
104. Phan QT, Le MH, Le TT, Tran TH, Xuan PN, Ha PT. Traits and cytotoxicity of folate-modified curcumin-loaded PLA-PEG micellar nano techniques with varied PLA:PEG ratios. Int J Pharm. 2016;507(1–2):32–40. doi:10.1016/j.ijpharm.2016.05.003
105. Liu L, Solar L, Wu Q, et al. Curcumin loaded polymeric micelles inhibit breast tumor progress and spontaneous pulmonary metastasis. Int J Pharm. 2013;443(1–2):175–182. doi:10.1016/j.ijpharm.2012.12.032
106. Tune Z, Feng R, Solar M, et al. Curcumin-loaded PLGA-PEG-PLGA triblock copolymeric micelles: preparation, pharmacokinetics and distribution in vivo. J Colloid Interface Sci. 2011;354(1):116–123. doi:10.1016/j.jcis.2010.10.024
107. Alshamrani M, Sikder S, Coulibaly F, Mandal A, Pal D, Mitra AK. Self-assembling topical nanomicellar formulation to enhance curcumin absorption throughout ocular tissues. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2019;20(7):254. doi:10.1208/s12249-019-1404-1
108. Davis BM, Pahlitzsch M, Guo L, et al. Topical curcumin nanocarriers are neuroprotective in eye illness. Sci Rep. 2018;8(1):11066. doi:10.1038/s41598-018-29393-8
109. Duan Y, Cai X, Du H, Zhai G. Novel in situ gel techniques primarily based on P123/TPGS combined micelles and gellan gum for ophthalmic supply of curcumin. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces. 2015;128:322–330. doi:10.1016/j.colsurfb.2015.02.007
110. Zeighamian V, Darabi M, Akbarzadeh A, et al. PNIPAAm-MAA nanoparticles as supply autos for curcumin towards MCF-7 breast most cancers cells. Artif Cells Nanomed Biotechnol. 2016;44(2):735–742. doi:10.3109/21691401.2014.982803
111. Lim KJ, Bisht S, Bar EE, Maitra A, Eberhart CG. A polymeric nanoparticle formulation of curcumin inhibits progress, clonogenicity and stem-like fraction in malignant mind tumors. Most cancers Biol Ther. 2011;11(5):464–473. doi:10.4161/cbt.11.5.14410
112. Xie X, Tao Q, Zou Y, et al. PLGA nanoparticles enhance the oral bioavailability of curcumin in rats: characterizations and mechanisms. J Agric Meals Chem. 2011;59(17):9280–9289. doi:10.1021/jf202135j
113. Lou J, Hu W, Tian R, et al. Optimization and analysis of a thermoresponsive ophthalmic in situ gel containing curcumin-loaded albumin nanoparticles. Int J Nanomedicine. 2014;9:2517–2525. doi:10.2147/IJN.S60270
114. Li Z, Barnes JC, Bosoy A, Stoddart JF, Zink JI. Mesoporous silica nanoparticles in biomedical purposes. Chem Soc Rev. 2012;41(7):2590–2605. doi:10.1039/c1cs15246g
115. Trewyn BG, Giri S, Slowing II, Lin VS. Mesoporous silica nanoparticle primarily based managed launch, drug supply, and biosensor techniques. Chem Commun (Camb). 2007;1(31):3236–3245. doi:10.1039/b701744h
116. Wu SH, Mou CY, Lin HP. Synthesis of mesoporous silica nanoparticles. Chem Soc Rev. 2013;42(9):3862–3875. doi:10.1039/c3cs35405a
117. Solar X, Wang N, Yang LY, Ouyang XK, Huang F. Folic acid and PEI modified mesoporous silica for focused supply of curcumin. Pharmaceutics. 2019;11(9):430. doi:10.3390/pharmaceutics11090430
118. Ahmadi Nasab N, Hassani Kumleh H, Beygzadeh M, Teimourian S, Kazemzad M. Supply of curcumin by a pH-responsive chitosan mesoporous silica nanoparticles for most cancers remedy. Artif Cells Nanomed Biotechnol. 2018;46(1):75–81. doi:10.1080/21691401.2017.1290648
119. Kotcherlakota R, Barui AK, Prashar S, et al. Curcumin loaded mesoporous silica: an efficient drug supply system for most cancers remedy. Biomater Sci. 2016;4(3):448–459. doi:10.1039/c5bm00552c
120. Park JH, Shin EY, Shin ME, et al. Enhanced retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) regeneration utilizing curcumin/alginate hydrogels: in vitro analysis. Int J Biol Macromol. 2018;117:546–552. doi:10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2018.05.127
121. Huang Y, Hu L, Huang S, et al. Curcumin-loaded galactosylated BSA nanoparticles as focused drug supply carriers inhibit hepatocellular carcinoma cell proliferation and migration. Int J Nanomedicine. 2018;13:8309–8323. doi:10.2147/IJN.S184379
122. Tune Z, Lu Y, Zhang X, Wang H, Han J, Dong C. Novel curcumin-loaded human serum albumin nanoparticles floor functionalized with folate: characterization and in vitro/vivo analysis. Drug Des Devel Ther. 2016;10:2643–2649. doi:10.2147/DDDT.S112039
123. Li C, Luo T, Zheng Z, Murphy AR, Wang X, Kaplan DL. Curcumin-functionalized silk supplies for enhancing adipogenic differentiation of bone marrow-derived human mesenchymal stem cells. Acta Biomater. 2015;11:222–232. doi:10.1016/j.actbio.2014.08.009
124. Wang P, Zhang L, Peng H, Li Y, Xiong J, Xu Z. The formulation and supply of curcumin with strong lipid nanoparticles for the remedy of on non-small cell lung most cancers each in vitro and in vivo. Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl. 2013;33(8):4802–4808. doi:10.1016/j.msec.2013.07.047
125. Yallapu MM, Jaggi M, Chauhan SC. beta-Cyclodextrin-curcumin self-assembly enhances curcumin supply in prostate most cancers cells. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces. 2010;79(1):113–125. doi:10.1016/j.colsurfb.2010.03.039
126. Chaniyilparampu RN, Nair AK, Parthasarathy Okay, et al. Curcuminoids and its metabolites for the applying in allergic ocular/nasal situations. Int Publication Quantity. 2010;25:WO2010109482A2.
127. Zhang J, Solar H, Zhou N, Zhang B, Ma J. Preparation and analysis of biodegradable scleral plug containing curcumin in rabbit eye. Curr Eye Res. 2017;42(12):1597–1603. doi:10.1080/02713683.2016.1242753
128. Steigerwalt R, Nebbioso M, Appendino G, et al. Meriva®, a lecithinized curcumin supply system, in diabetic microangiopathy and retinopathy. Panminerva Med. 2012;54(1 Suppl 4):11–16.
129. Madhusudana Rao Okay, Krishna Rao KS, Ramanjaneyulu G, Ha CS. Curcumin encapsulated pH delicate gelatin primarily based interpenetrating polymeric community nanogels for anti most cancers drug supply. Int J Pharm. 2015;478(2):788–795. doi:10.1016/j.ijpharm.2014.12.001
130. Wei X, Senanayake TH, Bohling A, Vinogradov SV. Focused nanogel conjugate for improved stability and mobile permeability of curcumin: synthesis, pharmacokinetics, and tumor progress inhibition. Mol Pharm. 2014;11(9):3112–3122. doi:10.1021/mp500290f
131. Mangalathillam S, Rejinold NS, Nair A, Lakshmanan VK, Nair SV, Jayakumar R. Curcumin loaded chitin nanogels for pores and skin most cancers remedy through the transdermal route. Nanoscale. 2012;4(1):239–250. doi:10.1039/c1nr11271f
132. Ji P, Wang L, Chen Y, Wang S, Wu Z, Qi X. Hyaluronic acid hydrophilic floor rehabilitating curcumin nanocrystals for focused breast most cancers remedy with extended biodistribution. Biomater Sci. 2020;8(1):462–472. doi:10.1039/c9bm01605h
133. Burgos-Morón E, Calderón-Montaño JM, Salvador J, Robles A, López-Lázaro M. The darkish facet of curcumin. Int J Most cancers. 2010;126(7):1771–1775. doi:10.1002/ijc.24967