STAMFORD, Conn., June 3, 2021 /PRNewswire/ — In the present day, Cohen Veterans Network (CVN), a not-for-profit philanthropic group that serves post-9/11 veterans, army households and energetic responsibility service members by way of a nationwide system of psychological well being clinics, revealed findings of its America’s Psychological Well being PTSD Pulse Survey, which checked out People’ basic information and understanding of Publish-Traumatic Stress Dysfunction (PTSD). June marks PTSD Consciousness Month meant to lift public consciousness and scale back the stigma related to the dysfunction.
PTSD is a psychological well being drawback that some individuals develop after experiencing or witnessing a life-threatening occasion, like fight, a pure catastrophe, a automobile accident, or sexual assault. “A lack of awareness feeds into the stigma related to psychological well being challenges akin to PTSD, which may deter individuals from in search of care,” stated Cohen Veterans Community President and CEO Dr. Anthony Hassan. “As a way to deal with any misunderstandings that encompass PTSD, we needed to check out People’ perceptions of the dysfunction. What we discovered is that there are robust misconceptions on all the pieces from signs to therapies.”
The survey of greater than 2,000 U.S. adults and carried out by The Harris Ballot, affords a broad overview of People’ perceptions of PTSD. Key findings together with comparative information embody:
- Two-Thirds (67%) of People consider nearly all of veterans expertise PTSD, whereas three in 4 (74%) consider nearly all of fight veterans expertise PTSD
- FACT: PTSD impacts 11-20% of Iraq and Afghanistan Battle veterans, roughly 12% of Gulf Battle veterans, and 15% of Vietnam veterans.
- One in 4 (26%) People consider nearly all of individuals with PTSD are violent/harmful
- FACT: Folks with PTSD will not be harmful. Though PTSD is related to an elevated threat of violence, nearly all of veterans and non-veterans with PTSD have by no means engaged in violence.
- Almost one in 4 (23%) People consider PTSD will not be treatable
- FACT: PTSD is treatable. There are a number of remedy choices which have been confirmed efficient for treating PTSD. These embody Extended Publicity Remedy (PE) and Cognitive Processing Remedy (CPT), that are each research-supported, short-term efficient therapies to deal with PTSD. PE helps you course of traumatic occasions by gradual repeated publicity to trauma-related reminiscences, feelings, and conditions. Whereas CPT targets methods of considering which may hold you “caught” in your PTSD. Many individuals who interact in remedy get well absolutely from PTSD.
- 40% of People consider that PTSD happens instantly after a traumatic occasion
- FACT: PTSD signs usually begin inside 3 months of the traumatic occasion, however generally emerge years later.
- Three in 4 (78%) People consider flashbacks are the most typical symptom of PTSD, whereas 69% consider for those who expertise PTSD you’ll expertise nightmares and 60% consider the majority of people that expertise PTSD will expertise hypervigilance
- FACT: Though many individuals with PTSD expertise flashbacks, nightmares, and/or hypervigilance, PTSD can look totally different in numerous individuals. Different signs of PTSD embody: intrusive reminiscences of the traumatic expertise, avoiding ideas of the trauma or issues which may remind you of it, exaggerated unfavorable beliefs about your self, lack of curiosity in stuff you usually get pleasure from, irritability, problem concentrating, and feeling indifferent or estranged from others.
- Greater than half (59%) of individuals consider that for those who expertise trauma you’ll develop PTSD
- FACT: The overwhelming majority of people that expertise a traumatic occasion don’t develop PTSD. Roughly 50-60% of People expertise no less than one traumatic occasion throughout their lives, however solely 7-8% ever expertise PTSD.
- 40% of People do not know what PTSD stands for
- FACT: PTSD stands for Publish-Traumatic Stress Dysfunction. Most individuals who undergo a traumatic occasion expertise a while of post-traumatic stress or troublesome signs instantly afterwards, which usually resolve over time. This expertise of post-traumatic stress turns into a diagnosable “dysfunction” if the signs do not go away or proceed to worsen and intervene with one’s day by day functioning for an prolonged interval.
“Cohen Veterans Community was based on the notion of eradicating obstacles to care,” stated Hassan. “The misconceptions that exist round PTSD are obstacles standing in the way in which of individuals receiving essential psychological well being care. We wish to assist educate the general public on the information to destigmatize PTSD and in the end transfer extra individuals who would possibly want it in direction of remedy.”
The survey additionally captured a snapshot of the military-connected neighborhood’s notion of, and expertise with, PTSD vs. these and not using a army affiliation. Highlights embody:
- Navy-connected People (38%) are 2x extra seemingly than these and not using a army affiliation (20%) to consider that almost all of these with PTSD are violent/harmful
- Navy-connected People (35%) are practically 2x extra seemingly than these and not using a army affiliation (18%) to suppose that PTSD will not be treatable
- 29% of army members of the family reported receiving a prognosis of PTSD by a psychological well being skilled vs. 11% of these and not using a army affiliation, making army members of the family practically 3x extra more likely to obtain a PTSD prognosis
“The military-connected neighborhood’s misperception of PTSD is troubling given the eye on PTSD inside the army neighborhood in addition to the affect PTSD can have on army households and army mission readiness. Now we have a lot extra to do to eradicate stigma and improve entry to care. So, when these in want ask for assist, we have to be prepared to assist. We might solely get one likelihood,” stated Hassan.
The survey moreover regarded on the impact of COVID-19 on those that have obtained a PTSD prognosis by a psychological well being skilled. It discovered:
- Two-thirds (65%) of People who report back to have been recognized with PTSD say that civil unrest, political polarization, & isolation created by the COVID-19 pandemic over the previous 12 months has negatively impacted their restoration
- FACT: Extra stress within the setting of these experiencing PTSD might exacerbate signs and make restoration tougher. It is very important actively work in direction of sustaining one’s psychological well being through the use of current coping abilities and tapping into new and totally different assets when wanted.
“We all know that the COVID-19 pandemic has had a big affect on the psychological well being of People, stated Hassan. “That is all of the extra cause why it is necessary for suppliers to supply versatile entry to psychological well being care, and for people with PTSD and different psychological well being circumstances to interact with the helps which can be obtainable to them.”
CVN offers high-quality, accessible psychological well being companies to post-9/11 veterans, energetic responsibility service members and army members of the family by way of its 19 Steven A. Cohen Navy Household Clinics throughout the nation. Therapy is obtainable for all kinds of psychological well being challenges together with PTSD, despair, anxiousness, adjustment points, anger, grief and loss, household points, transition challenges, relationship issues, and youngsters’s behavioral issues. Care is obtainable in individual or through CVN Telehealth, face-to-face video remedy.
For extra survey findings, go to cohenveteransnetwork.org/amhpulse.
Concerning the Survey
Cohen Veterans Community is dedicated to rising entry to psychological well being care companies. America’s Psychological Well being PTSD Pulse Survey was carried out by The Harris Poll on behalf of Cohen Veterans Community and included 2,032 American adults aged 18 or older who participated in an internet survey between Could 18 – 19, 2021. Outcomes had been weighted to Census targets for schooling, age/gender, race/ethnicity, area, family earnings, and propensity to be on-line had been adjusted the place essential to convey them in keeping with their precise proportions within the inhabitants.
About Cohen Veterans Community
Cohen Veterans Community (CVN) is a 501(c)(3) nationwide not-for-profit philanthropic group for post-9/11 veterans, energetic responsibility service members and their households. CVN focuses on enhancing psychological well being outcomes, with a objective to construct a community of outpatient psychological well being clinics for veterans and their households in high-need communities, during which educated clinicians ship holistic evidence-based care to deal with psychological well being circumstances. There are at present 19 Steven A. Cohen Military Family Clinics nationwide.
SOURCE Cohen Veterans Community