A girl applies a cream to her sore joints and says it’s modified her life. Two sports activities heroes sing the praises of an over-the-counter cream for his or her aches and pains. A star doctor claims that spray-on foam can finish your each day struggling.
You’ve most likely seen testimonials like these in over-the-counter ache treatment adverts. However is there strong proof to again up such claims? Let’s deal with three merchandise with catchy names and advertising and marketing claims in heavy rotation on TV.
- Blue-Emu: Marketed for muscle, joint, or again ache. “… Get again within the recreation with out smelling like a locker room. You possibly can really feel 100% assured in utilizing our merchandise to assist soothe drained muscle groups and joints.”
- Australian Dream: Marketed for joint or again ache. “Arthritis victims and long-time athletes alike depend on our joint ache aid cream for assured consolation. Utilized on to the painful space, this pure mix of components works quick and successfully.”
- Theraworx: Marketed for sore muscle groups, muscle cramps, or joint ache. “Clinically confirmed to cease muscle cramps earlier than they begin.”“Offers fast-acting aid of muscle cramps and spasms, in addition to post-cramp soreness — most individuals get aid inside minutes!”
What are these seemingly miraculous remedies?
Every is utilized on to pores and skin (topically). Theraworx is a foam; the others come as lotions or sprays. In accordance with their producers, right here’s the ingredient listing:
- Blue-Emu: An “authentic” model has greater than 20 components, together with glucosamine, aloe vera, and emu oil — however no lively ingredient is listed! For Blue-Emu Most Arthritis Ache Reduction and Blue-Emu Extremely with Hemp Seed Oil, the lively ingredient is trolamine salicylate, a detailed relative of aspirin. Blue-Emu Lidocaine Dry Patch lists lidocaine because the lively ingredient; it’s just like the numbing medicine novocaine.
- Australian Dream: Emu oil is listed right here, too, however the lively ingredient is histamine hydrochloride, a topical ache reliever. In accordance with its makers, that ingredient quickly will increase the scale of your blood vessels for larger circulation, which “safely and successfully reduces ache within the joint or muscle.” (By the best way, this product is made in Kentucky, not Australia.)
- Theraworx Reduction for Joint Discomfort and Irritation lists olibanum, an oil from boswellia bushes (additionally known as frankincense oil), as its the lively ingredient. Twenty different components, together with calcium, aloe, and grapefruit extract, are additionally listed. You’ll have to put on a compression sleeve over the sore joint after making use of the product. Theraworx Reduction for Muscle Cramps and Spasms has magnesium sulfate as its lively ingredient. Whereas magnesium deficiency can trigger muscle cramps, most nonpregnant individuals given oral magnesium supplements don’t profit. And, no proof suggests most individuals with widespread muscle cramps, resembling nighttime muscle cramps, have a magnesium deficiency, or that making use of the mineral to pores and skin counters an issue within the muscle groups.
Do they ship on their guarantees?
That relies on the way you measure success: by buyer scores, web page evaluations, or outcomes of research in individuals with signs like yours?
Whereas research of rodents or lab experiments can be found, not one of the producers’ adverts or web sites present satisfactory particulars about research demonstrating that their merchandise work on people.
- Theraworks Reduction for Muscle Cramps and Spasms: Two research talked about in an advert present enchancment in muscle cramps and spasms in 60% of 84 members. However it’s not doable to trace down the precise research or interpret their outcomes. How lengthy did it take for therapy to work? Does it stop cramps — or simply deal with them? How lengthy did the research final? Was Theraworx in contrast with placebo? No thought! (Healthcare professionals can get extra info, however solely upon request — and provided that they supply private info and a medical license quantity).
A two-week study of fifty paid volunteers famous modest enchancment in leg cramps, sleep, high quality of life, and melancholy for these utilizing Theraworx Reduction. However it was funded by the product makers, and wasn’t printed in a mainstream or well-respected medical journal.
- Blue-Emu: The lively ingredient, trolamine salicylate, has been studied in small, short-term trials, resembling this one from 1982 and this one from 1994. Outcomes had been blended at greatest and don’t assist their adverts’ claims.
- Australian Dream: Whereas not FDA-approved, its advertising and marketing says it “comprises an FDA-approved ingredient.” Certainly, histamine dihydrochloride is a topical ache reliever permitted a long time in the past, regardless of little analysis exhibiting it really relieves ache. Their adverts and web site present no human research of the product to deal with joint or again ache. It’s not even clear why topical histamine would ease ache. Dilation of blood vessels talked about within the adverts isn’t identified to supply aid for joint or muscle ache. Actually, one of many more practical ache remedies — making use of ice — constricts blood vessels.
And what concerning the emu oil? Each Blue-Emu and Australian Dream comprise it. Some research have investigated it for burn wound healing in mice and to scale back inflammation in lab experiments. However no convincing information recommend it’s an efficient ache reliever in people.
What does the FDA say about these merchandise?
The FDA doesn’t instantly consider the security and effectiveness of merchandise like these, however it may encourage or require a recall if a product is deemed unsafe. The Federal Trade Commission oversees promoting of over-the-counter therapies like these. Each companies could also be unable to maintain up with the sheer volume of products on the market.
The underside line
Often, the makers of well-studied merchandise with confirmed advantages are fairly prepared to share outcomes of research demonstrating effectiveness. The truth that none of those product makers do is cause for skepticism.
In the event you’re already utilizing Blue-Emu, Australian Dream, or Theraworx, and it’s clearly working properly for you, that’s nice! However there appears to be little proof that will predict this end result.
And if you happen to’re contemplating making an attempt one in every of these merchandise for the primary time, you would possibly suppose twice. The adverts could also be convincing, however, in my opinion, the proof isn’t.
Observe me on Twitter @RobShmerling
As a service to our readers, Harvard Well being Publishing gives entry to our library of archived content material.
Please observe the date of final overview or replace on all articles. No content material on this web site, no matter date,
ought to ever be used as an alternative to direct medical recommendation out of your physician or different certified clinician.